Based at the pilot plant site at Melton Mowbray, the plant chemist will have day-to-day responsibility for operating a small chemistry laboratory, carrying out analysis of samples from the pilot plant in order to support optimisation of the process. In addition, the candidate will support an engineer in the operation of the full-scale pilot plant, as well as carrying out trial experiments on a lab-scale ultrasonic unit.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Maintain a small analytical chemistry laboratory, including taking responsibility for health and safety requirements in the lab.
- Operate and maintain analytical equipment including HPLC, ATR-FTIR and UV-Vis.
- Carry out experiments and use data to inform pilot plant operation and optimisation
- Support design of experiments, sample analysis and data interpretation
- Support operation of the Bio-Sep pilot plant in combination with a process engineer
- Design and carry out processing trials on a small-scale ultrasonic system
- Working with the Chief Chemist, support development of robust pathways to commercialisation for Bio-Sep products
- Other activities to support the growth and development of the company and its technology as appropriate
- Qualified to degree, masters or PhD level in chemistry or related subjects
- Experience of working in an analytical chemistry environment, using standard analytical equipment including HPLC, UV-Vis, FTIR and wet chemistry techniques
- Operation of pilot plants an advantage
- Broad understanding of the biorefinery market, including competing technologies and key market players
- Experience of designing experimental procedures, carrying out experiments and using the results to solve problems and inform future research
- Self-starter, able to plan their own time whilst managing multiple projects over different timescales with minimal supervision
- Practical person with excellent analytical skills
- Confident at interacting with all levels of seniority both within the company and externally
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Confident at handling large volumes of data and distilling relevant information into documents/presentations for technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Methodical and organised
- Keen to learn new skills and support Bio-Sep to grow its business through access to accurate data
Bio-Sep is a pre-commercial company based in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, which has developed a novel, patented ultrasonic process for the fractionation of biomass into high value platform chemicals. After a period of intense R&D activity, Bio-Sep is now looking to commercialise its technology and seeks a talented chemist to join its expanding operation.
To apply please email a copy of your CV with a short covering note on why you wish to apply for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org